Decoding Dyslexia North Carolina (DDNC) is a grassroots movement driven by individuals and parents in North Carolina who have children or know someone who struggles with dyslexia. We are not experts. We are individuals & parents that share the experiences of the journey with dyslexia and the services that our children have received or wished were available in our local school districts.
We aim to raise dyslexia awareness, empower families to support their children, and inform policy-makers on best practices to identify, remediate and support students with dyslexia in North Carolina.
We are advocating for the state of North Carolina to implement:
• A universal definition and understanding of “dyslexia” in the state education code
• Mandatory teacher training on dyslexia, its warning signs and appropriate intervention strategies
• Mandatory early screening tests for dyslexia
• Mandatory dyslexia remediation programs, which can be accessed by both general and special education populations
• Access to appropriate “assistive technologies” in the public school setting for students with dyslexia